Following are 20 questions
taken from the official Bibliography for the 2009 Written Test for Detective.
1. An involved party (IP) is an individual that has been observed engaging in suspicious activity which may reveal a nexus to foreign or domestic terrorism when:
A. no definitive criminal activity
can be identified.
Special Order-11, 2008; p. 4 (5)(B)
2. Which of the following is not one of the responsibilities of the Work Environment Liaison Division?
A. Assist with the Department's
risk management, dispute resolution and military liaison functions.
Speical Order-26, 2008; pp. 1-2 (V)
3. The CAL/Gang System will automatically alert the Department when an individual's database file has had no criteria added for the preceding ______ period. In such cases, the individual's database file shall be purged from the CAL/Gang System.
A. 12 month
Special Order-3, 2004; pp. 11-12 (XI)(B)
4. The Department of Justice (DOJ) has indicated they will accept the following reason for release of information.
Detective Manual; p. 143, II/500.40
5. The Hierarchy rule does not apply to the crime of:
Detective Manual; p. 147, II/500.61 (Exception)
6. The most important and possibly the most sensitive aspect of the homicide investigation is:
A. the preliminary investigation.
Homicide Manual; p. 15, 2.1, para. 2
7. At a homicide crime scene, there are various ways to divide the area of concern to provide for a thorough, systematic search. The most common of these is:
A. the star pattern.
Homicide Manual; p. 37, 5, para. 1
8. All of the following meet the definition of an Informant except:
A. Anytime a person is given
specific direction by an officer, for any reason, whether on one occasion
or many, in an attempt to secure information on criminal activity.
Informant Manual; p. 3, #100
9. The Four C's of a Tactical Response are:
A. 1, 2, 3, 4
Supervisor's FOG; pp. 8-9
10. Which of the following is the first objective that must be addressed to accomplish the Department's crowd control mission?
A. Protect life.
Crowd Control; p. 18, top
11. Which of the following shall be responsible for the preliminary and follow-up investigations of any crime committed through the use of computer stored information or sabotage to computer-stored information?
A. Fraud Section.
LAPD Manual; p. 97, 4/212.14
12. Investigating officers shall have ______ from the date the Narcotics Report is assigned to them to complete and close-out the investigation:
A. 45 days
LAPD Manual; p. 221, 4/258.17
13. Terrorism Liaison Officers are responsible for all of the following except:
A. collecting and disseminating
information to the public regarding terrorism related activity.
LAPD Manual; p. 241, 4/271.45
14. An officer has greater protection under the First Amendment and other laws when the officer is addressing a:
A. personal opinion
Legal Bulletin, Vol. 32, Issue 1, 2008: p. 3, para. 1
15. When officers become aware of an individual who demonstrates stalking, threats, unsolicited acts of visitation or harassment, officers shall contact:
LAPD Manual; p. 240, 4/271.25
16. Evidence and non-evidence shall not be stored in the personal possession of any employee, except:
A. evidence seized as part
of special task force operations.
LAPD Manual; p. 321, 4/510.10
17. All of the following statements about False Personation are correct except:
A. False Personation arrests
resulting from any other incident, excluding traffic incidents, shall
be investigated by Forgery Section, Commercial Crimes Division.
LAPD Manual; p. 215, 4/248.20, paras. 5, 6, 7, 8
18. Penal Code Section 1529 states that the property to be seized must be described with:
A. at least three descriptive
Search Warrant Manual; p. III-1 (A)
19. To be lawful, a detention must be based on reasonable suspicion that criminal activity has taken place or is about to take place, and that the person detained is connected to that activity. This "suspicion" must be supported by:
A. criminal acts.
Training Bulletin XXXVIII, Issue 1, 2006; p. 4, 1
20. According to the Consent Decree, all of the following are required of investigating officers working with informants except:
A. confer with supervisor prior
to meeting with an informant.
Consent Decree; para. 108 (h)
l© 2000-2009 Allwrite-Testing Denver, Colorado All rights reserved. Contact us at: